The Restorative Power of Nature


I’m on vacation this week. It’s the first one since 2019. It feels good.

On the first day we arrived it snowed. Big flakes. Sticking to the road. Sticking to the trees. It was beautiful.

It is our home for a week.

Vacation is something that my wife and I are used to. We have been around the world to many places in the ten years we have been married.

This vacation is wonderful. It’s bringing us back to the area where we got engaged. There are lots of good memories here.

When I look out on my porch as I’m writing this, I see little birds and squirrels sitting amongst the pine trees. These beautiful creatures remind me of the simplicity of life. They are totally in the moment. They are free to go from here to there. They are free to climb, to sing, to be the beautiful spirits they are. They are not worrying about tomorrow or having shame about their past. They are just there. Now. In the moment. This glorious moment.

This is the power of nature. It’s that chance to reflect on what is important in life. It’s a time to get in touch with how things used to be. Before the bulldozer came and took away the forest, mowed over the fields, and knocked the birds out of their trees.

I look out at the trees that have no leaves on them. They remind me of the power of the seasons, how things bloom, go dormant, and bloom again. This is life. All of life goes through seasons. When the leaves fall from the trees, it is not a permanent sign of death. It is a temporary change. Like our bodies. When our bodies die, it will be a temporary transition to get ready for the next season in our soul’s evolution.

I went snowshoeing with my wife the other day. It was beautiful and difficult. While the air was wonderful and the snow beautiful, my legs were in immense pain after the experience. My spirit was willing, but my body wasn’t. It reminded me that I’m going through another season in my life. For years, I have experienced back, neck, hip, and leg pain. Every day is another adventure in working through some level of pain. The snowshoeing trip reminded me that my body is not going to do what I want it to do. Is this bad? No. It’s a season. Maybe a long season. But, it’s a season.

Nature will restore your soul.

Maybe you’re going through a difficult season in your life. Maybe you have physical challenges. Your challenges might be financial. They might be emotional. They might be spiritual.

Whatever challenges you are experiencing today, I invite you to go into nature to heal them. Take a walk if you can. Go to a park. Go to the beach. Go to the mountains. Wherever you can go outside to recharge I invite you to do so. The powerful trees will remind you of your connection to the earth. The wildlife will remind you of your dependence on a loving Presence that is looking out for you.

As you move through your experience in nature, be aware of how blessed you are, and how your life is going exactly as it should. The seasons of change and growth will come into your life, but you are not alone. That feeling of being disconnected will leave. You will have a direct understanding that life is precious. You will know that you are being taken care of.

When you engage with nature today, take a deep breath and thank the trees for another breath. Thank the birds for brightening up your day with a song.

This is the restorative power of nature. Appreciating this gift will bring joy to your heart and will bring you back to yourself.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Deserve To Be Supported

Balancing the Need For Risk With the Need For Security

Not Waiting Anymore