The Holding Pattern Becomes a Blessing


Most of us have had the unpleasant experience of being on an airplane that has been put in a holding pattern as it approaches the airport. As a result of some delay at the airport you are coming into  you are made to circle the airport over and over again until it is safe to land. This experience can be very frustrating, especially if we have another connecting flight to get to.

This experience of being put in a holding pattern shows up in our everyday life sometimes. There are delays. The check we were supposed to get didn't come in the mail on time. The car dealer you took your car to for repairs didn't get your car back in time. And, now you have to rent a car. In life there are literally thousands of delays that can frustrate us. This is life.

It is a common trait of us humans to want to see things go smoothly. We don't like delays. And, even some of us (me included) will want to take these delays personally.

It is also my experience that delays can be an absolute blessing. I will go back to the airport story for a moment. Many times, airplanes are put in a holding pattern, because there is a thunderstorm near the airport. To land in this storm would be dangerous, so the pilot  decided to wait until the storm clears before making a safe landing.

I am reminded of a time when I was about to leave home to go somewhere. For some reason, I was late leaving. I had to do something I remembered that I had to do. This put me in a holding pattern of sorts. My plans for getting out the door were delayed. When I got on the highway I suddenly found myself in a major traffic jam. I later found out that 10 min earlier that there was a very bad traffic accident. I will never know this for sure, but it is possible that I had I left 10 min earlier that it could have been me in that accident. The delay could have saved my life. 

The idea that what is happening right now is exactly what is supposed to happen is a  belief that guides my life. When things are not happening the way I think they are supposed to I go back to this belief that sustains me. Once again I am being protected, and that all is well. The holding pattern that I feel is sometimes frustrating to endure may be also be a lesson in patience that I need. Delayed gratification is often a blessing.

Every one of us is put in a holding pattern of sorts sometimes. In my opinion and experience those times are usually times of great blessings. The holding pattern can teach us to reevaluate the move we are about to make. The holding pattern can give us a moment  to consider whether the thing We are pursuing is worth spending our time on. It gives us time to think. The delay could give us a chance to ask more questions. And, when we do finally move forward the quality of our work is often better. The pause is exactly what we needed to recharge and regroup.

Going faster in life is not necessarily a good thing. If we find ourselves feeling like we are stuck in a holding pattern remember that this could be a tremendous blessing for you. As we wait in our holding pattern things are working out behind the scenes for us. In this way the holding pattern can become a tremendous blessing.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing the Need For Risk With the Need For Security

You Deserve To Be Supported

Forgiveness Leads to Healing