Finding Your Voice in a Noisy World


MY JOURNEY BACK TO WRITING

 I began writing again in March 2018. This rediscovery of my passion for writing was the direct result of another tragic shooting in a school. This time, it was close enough to home (literally) that I needed to find a way to create some good in the world. I felt completely powerless to do anything about it. The only thing I knew that I had some control over was my ability to write. I have been writing my entire life, but never thought that my skills would be able to help anyone.

 I made a silent vow to myself that I was going to allow the thoughts and feelings that were stored inside to be let out into the world. This was going to be my way of effecting positive change in the world. And, that's how my writing career started. Now, I am on the verge of having a book published. The book is not about school shootings. It is about my vision of hope for the world, and why I still believe that good things can still come from the human race.

FINDING THAT QUIET PLACE

 In a world where we are bombarded with outside stimuli on a moment to moment basis, it is often difficult to get quiet enough to hear ourselves. Chances are your smart phone is giving you a notification about something every 17 seconds. The voices of other people become so loud, that trying to find your voice becomes impossible.

I'm fortunate in this area.  I discovered the beautiful gift of being an introvert.  I always knew that I was an introvert, but I never celebrated or was grateful for it. I am celebrating it now, because I know that I have to find alone time in order to survive in this world. The noise and activity of the world will overwhelm me, if I do not take that time for myself on a regular basis. Alone time is my opportunity to recharge. It is my time to get re-centered.

It is this required alone time that puts me in a wonderful position to get quiet enough to find my creative voice. When I get quiet enough, my soul speaks to me in a voice I can hear. My soul is not being overwhelmed by the opinions and voices of other very well meaning people.

 I remember one time when I was meditating. I got so quiet that I was able to hear my heart beating. It was amazing! Rarely, have I ever let myself get quiet enough to hear my heart beat. In the very same way, when I get alone for long enough I will hear my creative heart beating.

FINDING YOUR CREATIVE VOICE

There is a creative heart that is beating inside of you.

I wonder how you can find your voice. I wonder how you can slow down enough to be able to find yourself. Would you even recognize your own voice? Here are some things I believe you can do to find your own creative voice.

1. Try something new. Is there a hobby that you have wanted to do, but have not allowed yourself to do for some reason?
2. Let go of what other people think about what you are doing.
3. Let go of the thought that you need to do it perfectly. Anyone who has become really good at what they do has made tons of mistakes. The road to success is littered with errors. The one who finds their voice is the person who is willing to step over all of this, and continue towards their goal.
4. Trust that what you have to write is important to somebody else. You have a message that somebody needs to hear.
5. Just start creating. The only way to create is to create. As you go along, you will improve.

We all have something we were meant to do in this world. I believe that you have something to express to the world. When you find this outlet, you will know it. It will be so obvious to you that you will not be able to ignore it.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Deserve To Be Supported

Balancing the Need For Risk With the Need For Security

The Holding Pattern Becomes a Blessing