Your Originality is a Strength


THE ORIGINAL YOU

You are an original. You have never existed in this form before. You will never exist in this exact same form again.

How do you feel about that? Does it bring you a feeling of joy, or do you feel a sense of shame?
Being an original has at various times caused me to feel fearful. I wanted to fit in, although I thought I never would. There was something different about me. I used to shy away from taking risks, because I knew I was different.

What was different about me was my sensitivity. I was prone to doing what other people wanted me to do, rather than follow my heart. This got me into all kinds of relationship and career situations that didn't work for me. You could call it people pleasing. I call it not knowing what I wanted to do with my life.

I was under the impression that being different meant something was wrong with me.

A CHANGE

I feel differently about all of this today. I revel in the truth that I am different. I am learning to embrace my unique qualities. Fortunately, I have surrounded myself with people who are encouraging me to be different. My wife Rachel is a great example. She is constantly reminding me that I have something beautiful to share with the world. Every day, she reminds me that I am doing good in the world with my messages of hope that I send out. I need that encouragement. Left to my own devices, my mind will tell me that there is something wrong with being original.

There is another person in my life who has helped me to feel good about being an original. That person is Rev. Chris Jackson of Unity on The Bay in Miami, FL. This amazing soul has taught me to feel good about who I am. His messages of hope remind me that I have something valuable to contribute to the world. I appreciate and need that.

DIVERSITY IS A STRENGTH

I believe in the strength of diversity. I believe that I do better when I surround myself with people who are different than me. This may fly directly in the face of my need for unity and togetherness. But, I don't think so. Cultures are stronger when people of different believes and opinions are able to get along together. Total agreement is not necessarily a good thing. Healthy debates can be a good thing for all parties. Many times, when we separate ourselves from other people, it can create a culture of us and them.

SOME THINGS TO TRY

You have a gift nobody else has. I'm here to encourage you to believe that your gift matters. You are different. That's beautiful.

Here are some ways that may help you feel good about being an original:

1. Notice the good you bring to the world.
2. Focus on your message. Ask yourself what you want to express in the world.
3. Go into meditation, and contemplate what makes you different from other people.
4. Try something new. Experiment.
5. Remember that failing is part of the process. Not everything is going to work. But, some things will. Learning from our mistakes is part of the growth process. People who are successful have made a lot of mistakes along the way.

Being an original is a good thing. My hope for you is that you will see your originality as a strength. There is only one you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Deserve To Be Supported

Balancing the Need For Risk With the Need For Security

The Holding Pattern Becomes a Blessing