From the Farm to My Table


I’m not a farmer.

I’m not an expert on how to distribute food.

What I do know is that I’m grateful.

I’m grateful when I open my refrigerator and it has food in it.

On most days I don’t think about how amazing it is that this food found its way onto my table.

Today I am.

We are living in a time where there is food insecurity and economic insecurity. I’m keenly aware of this.

In this moment I want to express gratitude for the hundreds of people that it took to get the food from the farm to my table.

Somebody had to pick out the seeds that would go in the ground. Then somebody had to put the seeds in the machines that planted the seeds. Then they were planted in the ground. Then they were harvested by somebody. Then somebody had to get the food on a truck. Then some beautiful soul had to drive the truck. Then this beautiful soul delivered it to the store. Then some amazing human being stocked the shelves. Then a wonderful person cooked the food. I am blessed to be married to a wonderful wife who is gifted with many culinary skills. I do my best to help in the kitchen, but she has the real gift.

I know that I'm missing many small steps between all these big steps. What I want to convey is that I acknowledge the commitment that these beautiful souls made to bring me my food. Without them I would starve. I don’t have the ability to do all these steps myself.

As I contemplate the beautiful chain of events that take place every day to keep me alive, I am aware of the dependence that we have on each other. Every person in the supply chain is as important as any other. Every hand that carries my food is a blessed angel that keeps me alive. My life is connected to every other life.

At this time in history, I am reminded that the person who picks up my garbage is as important as the person who does my taxes. The person who stocks the store shelves is as important as the person who runs my bank. The person who drives the food truck is as important as the president of the large corporation.

The chain of support that keeps me alive is to be celebrated. The chain of support is made up of human beings. This beautiful chain of support is to be honored and cared for.

I invite you today when you take your next bite of food to remember all the people that helped bring it to you.

If you are one of these beautiful souls who helped me to survive another day, I want to express my gratitude. You are my hero. You are keeping me alive today.

Thank you!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Deserve To Be Supported

Balancing the Need For Risk With the Need For Security

The Holding Pattern Becomes a Blessing