Gratitude

Gratitude is a beautiful word. It is a hopeful word. It is one of those words that brings me home.

I have a lot to be grateful for.

I’m grateful for my home, my wife, my family, my friends, food, and an array of things that I have learned to appreciate over the years.

The thing about gratitude is that it is available anytime and anywhere.

Even during a stressful situation, I can use gratitude to get me through. Gratitude allows me to see the best in every situation.

Gratitude is easy when things are going well, and I am enjoying life.

When things are painful and difficult it is not easy. This is where the practice of being mindful comes in.

I have had days (and I’m sure you have had them too), when I could find no reason to be grateful. Things were happening around me and inside of me that were miserable. There seemed to be nothing to be grateful for. It was on these days that I needed to use the simplest tool possible. Breathe.

I took a breath.

Inhale. Exhale.

In that moment, when I can breathe, I bring myself back to center. Even if I can be grateful only for my breath that is a lot.

From this place of stillness, I can look out into my world and see other things to be grateful for.
Maybe it is to see that I have food for this day. Maybe it is to have two eyes that allow me to see the ceiling over my head. Maybe it is to be able to choose what clothing I can put on my back. Maybe it is to feel the love that my God has for me.

The simplest of things, and yet they are incredibly powerful.

They bring me home.

There are millions of people in the world who have none of the things I enjoy every day. They don’t have food, shelter, love, or clothing.

I pray for them. I pray that they can experience the basic things that I take for granted.

I don’t know why I am able to experience the gifts that I have in my life. On most days, I’m not sure how I got here.

What I am sure of is that when I am having a down day, gratitude will lift me up.

My hope is that you can see the reasons to find gratitude in your own life.

What are you grateful for? I would invite you to express some gratitude.

If the only thing you are grateful for today is the ability to breathe that’s OK.

Breathing is a beautiful thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Deserve To Be Supported

Balancing the Need For Risk With the Need For Security

The Holding Pattern Becomes a Blessing