The Womb of God

I stepped towards the stern of the boat and waited.

The captain said the three magic words, “Dive, dive, dive!” Some of my favorite words in the world.
As I looked upon the horizon I jumped in with anticipation. My wife had the dive flag on this beautiful drift dive in Boynton Beach, FL. There were some rough seas that day, so it was better to be in the water than on the surface.

As I floated down towards the reef, I got that magical sensation once again of floating in space. It is an amazing experience. We landed 60 feet down on this magic reef.

I share this story, because I want to convey to you the magic of scuba diving and its effects on my life
over the past eight years.

When I am diving, I feel like I have been transported to another world.

It feels like I am floating in the womb of God. It feels like I am being held by the very spirit of my Creator who made the beautiful ocean.

As I gazed upon the reef last Friday, I was reminded that the world that I know above the surface is only a very small part of what is happening on planet earth. Under the waves lies a world that is not seen by most of us. I consider myself to be very lucky to see any of this.

Scuba diving has taught me many things about myself and life in general. I would like to share some of these with you.

Diving has taught me to trust. When I began diving eight years ago, I was very fearful of being in the
ocean. With all the stories of sea creatures attacking and risks of getting ill, I thought it best to stay clear of all those risks and stay on land. To me, seeing whatever beauty there was underwater was not worth the risk of going there. Over the years, after experiencing many diving scenarios I now believe that not only is diving safe, but that it helps me to feel safer in all areas of my life. I have learned to trust that God is going to take care of me. Before jumping in the water, I express gratitude for my life and realize that my life is not in my hands. It never was. Not even on land. The ocean is just another beautiful extension of the planet that I get to explore. The ocean is not separate from the land.

Diving has taught me about other cultures. I have traveled all over the world with my wife. Every dive destination has given me the opportunity to learn about other people. Divers are friendly people. Divers also want to help each other. Though diving may seem to be a solitary sport, it requires a team of people who are looking out for each other. A stranger on a dive boat could become your friend by the time you get back to shore. Looking out for each other becomes a safety issue and will form a bond between you and your newfound buddy.

As I continue to explore the world of scuba diving, I have a newfound respect for our beautiful ocean.
The ocean is large, and I must respect it. The ocean reminds me of our connection with each other. We need each other, and the ocean reminds me that what I do affects other people.

Yes, this article is a shameless plug for conservation and protecting our oceans. It is my plea to please
remember that how you treat it matters to the creatures in it and the creatures on land. We are one
with the ocean in ways that we are just beginning to understand.

Visit the ocean if you can. It will change your world. It certainly changed mine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Deserve To Be Supported

Balancing the Need For Risk With the Need For Security

The Holding Pattern Becomes a Blessing