Community is Everything

 

Community is everything.

We all need it. It’s not a want; it’s a need.

From the beginning of time, we have all sought after community. It is how we have survived. From the very first cave man needing his friend to watch his family while he went hunting, to today when we need each other to help keep a roof over our head.

God created us this way on purpose. It was in the plan for us to need each other.

There are many people struggling right now with how they must interact with the communities that matter to them.

You may be one of them. You are not alone.

Students are having to be away from their social supports at school. Congregants are away from their churches. Workers are away from their offices.

These changes in our communities can cause stress and anxiety. We are not used to having things change so rapidly in such a short period of time. It’s one thing to experience societal changes. This is normal. It’s not normal or comfortable to have so many things change all at once.

We must find ways to keep our communities intact while recognizing that we cannot do that the same way anymore.

I miss my church in Miami. I miss seeing my friends at my social gatherings during the week. I miss seeing the family in Pennsylvania. I miss going into school and teaching the band students. I miss going to the gym and saying hi to my friend at the front desk.

Out of this grief and loss comes the realization that I need to find a way to maintain a sense of community when my usual connections have been completely upended.

What I am remembering is that community is not just being in someone else’s physical presence. Community can be built online. Through my Zoom calls, my conference calls, and my social media platforms I am learning how to stay connected in ways I never imagined I would have to.

These new ways of connecting are keeping me sane. I am grateful for the friends that I get to hang out with on Zoom, my students I teach on Google Meets, and my weekly phone call with my parents. All these ways of staying connected help me maintain my sense of community.

I invite you to think about how you can maintain a sense of community when you are being asked to social distance.

Remember that social distancing does not have to mean social isolation.

Social distancing is to maintain our health, but our mental health also matters.

If there is a child or adult in your life who is emotionally suffering right now because of feeling alone and isolated reach out to them. Let them know that you are there for them, and that they are not alone.

Sadly, suicide is on the rise since the pandemic began. Part of that is due to feeling isolated and lonely.

You can be part of the solution. You can help. You can be their beacon of hope right now.

If you need help, please reach out. There are many people who want to help you.

Community is everything right now. We all need to know that people care. Helping someone else get through a tough time could be the thing you need to feel more connected again.

You deserve to be connected. You are worthy of being cared for.

In this time of physical distancing please remember that you don’t have to do anything yourself. There are many who care. Reach out, and you may be surprised by the number who reach back.

Community is everything.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Deserve To Be Supported

Balancing the Need For Risk With the Need For Security

The Holding Pattern Becomes a Blessing